Tuesday 28 April 2015

TARGET YOUR AUDIENCE

TARGET YOUR AUDIENCE

This week’s episode of Reel Time began as a vague notion that as a writer I should know my potential reader.   ‘Target your audience’ as a catch phrase, has its roots in economic reasoning.  Not one of my strong points.





I was vaguely pondering how I was supposed to know the whims of millions, possibly even billions of potential readers, when I found myself over thinking the highly stimulating verb –

At the time, and for no apparent reason (that I am willing to share), I had been poking around my dress-ups.
Then before I knew what was up and what was floppy, I was brandishing a phallic symbol whilst strutting bow-legged and sideways through the scrub, wearing my over-the-knee boots and channelling ‘Annie, Go Get Your Gun’.


Midway through my little romp I had swapped my utensil for a compound bow and uploaded visions (ie. transvisioning – there’s that word again remember it now) from a completely different setting.  Suzanne Collin’s Hunger Games came to mind, as did Tolkien’s dishy elves. 
That’s when it hit me…



Readers set their own targets.

·         Mystery



·         relevant fantasy

·         honest romance

·         dramatic flashes in stark contrast to epic wonderment 

·         glimpses of potential horrors if goodness does not prevail


·         authentic characters that carry our collective torch for truth, justice and the StarWays
Because the eternal story will always have an audience.



Jasmine Neutron Star is the first book of the Star Ways Chronicles.  It is a novel most suitable for young adult and teenager readers of speculative, fantasy / science fiction, urban fantasy.  It is a humorous account of Jasmine’s first adventure into the world of light – Quanta.  She is a spirem – a new kind of superhero – and perfect for the sphere of Terra.


https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9885728.A_J_McMarson

No comments:

Post a Comment